Sunday 3 May 2015

St Georges Day April 26th 2015

First of all apologies for the lack of Silent Sunday last week. But as you continue to read below, You'll see why :)



Sunday was spent in a little village near Coalville, Leicestershire called Ravenstone.
My eldest saw it advertised a few weeks ago and I was really looking forward to it.
I'd never been to this village before so didn't know what to expect and although the weather forecasted cloudy and cool, in turned in to the most beautiful sunny day.
By the time we arrived the sun came out behind the clouds and never went back in again for the whole afternoon.



Once we entered the field we were surprised at how big it was for such a small village!
The local school children, air cadets. and scouts were already in the midst of their maypole dancing.

 photo Maypole_Dance_zpsqpek9h5y.jpg
Surrounded by large hay bales for you to take a seat.

As we walked round there was a camp set up by Vikings Of Middle England
Showing their skills of Archery as well as showing visitors how to use a bow.
 photo archery_zpsssvhcaam.jpg

How they lived.
 photo vking_Tent_zpsqjvixatw.jpg

and tools of battle.
 photo tools_zpsiodn4voe.jpg

I managed to capture a lovely photo of one of the Saxon ladies knitting with wooden lucet.
 photo saxonlady_zpstjb1jf19.jpg

Accompanied by one of the guys playing the horn.


This has to be my favourite of the day though. 
This guy was just standing there and as I turned to take a photo, he suddenly yelled "Raawwwr" 

Walking round a little more there were tombola stalls, some second hand stalls, and yummy sweets on sale.
 photo sweets_zpsrhs3cuzy.jpg
But nothing could take my mind off the amazing smell of the Hog Roast, bacon, burgers and onions.

The organisers had set up and extra large marquee tent so you could sit inside and have a cup of tea where the WI were selling their homemade cakes.
 photo cake2_zpsao39vjup.jpg photo cake1_zpswijkdxza.jpg
I had the most amazing cheese scone and butter. Unfortunately it made it into my tummy before I could get my camera ready. Sorry about that :D

The Vikings had a battle between themselves

Accompanied by jeers of "Boooo" and "Yaayyyys" from the crowd.
We also had a fantastic view of a Spitfire flying over.
 photo spitfire_zpsafa75zby.jpg
My daughter watched the Bird Of Prey display and St George slay the dragon.
 photo dragon_zpscydrsraz.jpg
By this time in the afternoon, the heat had really set in. 
I was getting quite burnt, energy levels were low so I stayed in the shade of the marquee with a cup of coffee.

Once the raffle winners had been called we set off back to the car. Collected my daughters boyfriend from work and went to The Charnwood Arms for a lovely dinner.

Once home it was PJ's on, Movie on, and feet up with our fan on to cool us down.

A good day had by all :D

 photo flags_zpsuz0pa00i.jpg

How did you spend St Georges Day? Did you go to something with a St Georges theme?
I'd love to know, so just leave me a comment :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for your comment :)